Teeth whitening is one of the most common requests from people who want to improve the appearance of their smile. Professional teeth whitening involves applying a bleaching agent directly to your teeth. At Capital Dental, we use Opalescence Teeth Whitening Brand, which works by treating the teeth with hydrogen peroxide gel and then activating the gel to release oxygen ions. These oxygen ions flood your teeth and break down interior and exterior staining to achieve a bright look. This bleaching process is incredibly effective and extremely safe with little to no discomfort.
Professional Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening can drastically improve the appearance of your teeth, making you feel more confident in your smile. Before deciding if teeth whitening is right for you, there are a couple of things you should consider.
Teeth Whitening Cost
Our professional whitening services are safe and effective with the cost for each listed below, but please note that the prices can slightly vary, depending on the need of each patient as every case is different.
- Take-home teeth whitening kit: $306
- In-office teeth whitening + take home kit: $406
If you have sensitive teeth, please let us know before you get a whitening application. Tooth sensitivity can increase after teeth whitening, but we are happy to discuss this possibility and find a solution that works for each patient’s unique needs.Schedule Teeth Whitening at Capital Dental
Teeth Whitening Aftercare
Caring for your teeth after whitening is important to help keep their improved and brighter color. If you’ve received an in-office whitening, we will send you home with custom trays. Follow these aftercare instructions for the best results after your treatment:
- Wear your take-home trays with sensitivity gel in them for 2-4 hours
- After the main sensitivity subsides, then you may choose to start whitening at home with the take-home trays and either 15% or 35% whitening gels
- Use straws when drinking to help avoid staining
- Avoid foods and drinks that stain your teeth for 48 hours, such as coffee, wine, berries, or pasta sauce
- Do not smoke or consume any tobacco products
How much will my tooth’s color change?
There are a couple of factors that contribute to how drastically a tooth’s color can improve. Tooth color and tooth health prior to whitening significantly affect how effect a whitening treatment will be.
- Tooth Color: Typically, the more stained your teeth are, the more difficult it will be to whiten, but it is always possible. There are two types of tooth discoloration: extrinsic and intrinsic. Extrinsic discoloration is when the outside of the tooth becomes stained. This occurs when teeth are stained from drink, food, or lifestyle habits like smoking. Intrinsic discoloration is staining within the tooth which is more commonly a result of medication, childhood illness, or aging.
- Tooth Health: Teeth whitening only whitenings the tooth’s natural structure. So, if you have crowns, veneers, or fillings that cover the front of the tooth/teeth, those areas will not be whitened.
If the appearance of your smile is unlikely to improve with teeth whitening because of your tooth’s health or extent of discoloration, dental veneers may be right for you.Learn More About Dental Veneers
Does teeth whitening hurt?
The application of the teeth whitening agent is not painful. However, if you experience tooth sensitivity to hot or cold foods before a teeth whitening treatment, the whitening process will likely make them equally or more sensitive. On the other hand, if your teeth are not prone to sensitivity, you will not usually have problems with sensitivity after whitening.
If you have sensitive teeth, check out our product recommendations for tooth sensitivity.Sensitive Teeth Recommendations
How long does professional teeth whitening take?
The in-office, professional treatment at Capital Dental takes about 2 hours total from start to finish. During the process, we isolate the teeth and then apply multiple rounds of whitening gel to the teeth for about 10-15 minutes each. After each round, the teeth will be cleaned of the gel before a new application. Our teeth whitening results are visible, almost instantaneously.
Teeth Whitening at Home
There are numerous at-home whitening products that can help improve the appearance of your smile. Yellow or discolored teeth can be a result of years of staining from coffee, wine, soda and more, but it can also be a result of underlying oral health issues such as tooth decay or gum disease. It’s always best to check with your dentist before whitening your teeth, both professionally and at-home but if you’d prefer an at-home teeth whitening treatment, such as whitening strips, pens, or toothpaste—check out our recommended teeth whitening products.Teeth Whitening Recommendations